Citrix / Terminal Server
Help for using pdfMachine in a Citrix / Remote Desktop / Terminal Server environment is here.
pdfMachine Word Mail Merge is failing with "Could not access merged PDF file C:\Users\...\FileName.pdf : The system cannot find the file specified. (0x2 / 2)"
How To pages
Instructions on how to register pdfMachine are here.
Instructions on how an Administrator can register pdfMachine for another user are here.
How do I prevent pdfMachine putting an advertisement in the PDF files?
If you haven't purchased a license version of pdfMachine then a banner will be placed across the bottom of each page of
the PDF files it creates. Once a PDF has been saved with the advertisement it cannot be removed
using pdfMachine. To stop pdfMachine inserting the advertisement a license of pdfMachine office, pro
or ultimate must be
purchased and the software registered.
If you have already purchased a license, then you need to register the software.
If you have registered and are still getting the advertisement, then it could be either:
(1) You are using a function that your pdfMachine edition does not allow. e.g. if you use the pdfMachine parameter parsing feature which exists in the "pdfMachine ultimate" edition but you only have "pdfMachine office". In this case you must purchase an upgrade to the higher edition. You can compare the editions here.
(2) Your version protection has expired and you have installed a version you are not entitled to. In this case you could purchase a new version of pdfMachine office, pro or ultimate and keep using the latest version. Alternatively, you can uninstall pdfMachine and re-install an older version for which you are eligible. Older versions can be obtained from the bottom of the download page. Older versions are not supported and may not work with a modern operating system, updates or software.
Why am I getting the "Too Many Users" error when I register with my key?
pdfMachine is licensed per user where the user is identified by the Windows user name. The same
Windows user can use the license on up to 5 devices. If you attempt to register more users than the
license allows you will get the "Too Many Users" error.
On the Registration tab of pdfMachine options the Register button will show the name of the Windows user. The License Details button.
Why do I get the NoProductFound message when registering?
The "No Products Found" message indicates that you have entered a key which requires pdfMachine to already have an existing key, eg a Version Protection key needs an existing pdfMachine office, pro or ultimate. An upgrade office to ultimate key needs an existing pdfMachine office. To use either a Version Protection key or an Upgrade key you need to first register with the key it is to apply to.
Why do I get the "This code did not change your license" message when registering?
This indicates that the code you are entering does not change the licensing for pdfMachine. Examples of why this occurs are
- You had a purchased license which expired. You installed a later version and hence reverted to pdfMachine white or demo mode. The key you are registering with does not extend the version protection enough to license the version installed. Version protection adds the years to the existing expiry date. You can enter additional version protection keys to keep extending the licence expiry date.
- pdfMachine is already registered and you are registering it with a license that does not change the outcome. For example, it is pdfMachine office and you register with another pdfMachine office key.
pdfMachine requests you to download the file, or asks if you want to open or save the file.
In Viewer mode, pdfMachine displays the PDF in Internet Explorer using your default PDF viewer for IE.
The 'File Download' / 'do you want to open or save' window is presented by Internet Explorer. It only prompts the message when configured to. Here are some ways to fix that configuration. If you don't want to change the configuration then you can use pdfMachine in Edit mode instead.
(1) You don't have a default PDF reader installed.
If you don't have a PDF reader installed then you should either install one, or configure your Next Action to "Show in Edit mode" instead of "Launch pdfMachine Viewer". Otherwise you will get the "Open or Save" message.
(2) You have Internet Explorer and Acrobat Reader to prompt before displaying You can tell if this is the problem by trying to open a PDF in Internet Explorer using the Internet Explorer File->Open command. If the PDF doesn't display then you can configure Internet Explorer to fix this. Sometimes there is a checkbox in the message box "Always ask before opening this type of file" . If that message is there then uncheck the box and click open or save. Otherwise you can configure it in the Internet Explorer Internet options
In Internet Explorer select Tools->Internet options.
Select the Security tab and Internet zone.
Click the Custom level button to open the Security Settings.
Scroll down to the Downloads heading and select Enable for File Download.
Click OK, and confirm the change, then click OK again to close the Internet Options window.
Close pdfMachine and all Internet Explorer windows.
(3) Configure Internet Explorer to use Acrobat Reader DC to open the PDF
Make sure all Windows updates have been installed.
Make sure that the version of Acrobat Reader is Acrobat Reader DC
Make sure the Acrobat Reader add-on in Internet Explorer is enabled
Repair or reinstall Acrobat Reader
A print to pdfMachine fails with "File Open Error", with the message "File does not exist"
Typically this occurs when either :
(1) The "DefaultSaveDir" registry entry has been modified outside of pdfMachine. Settings should only be modified using the pdfMachine user interface. Setting path entries within the registry may cause this error. A user should not attempt to change internal settings in pdfMachine. Uninstall, reinstall and don't change the registry.
(2) A print to pdfMachine has been initiated from a PDF open within pdfMachine (while auto append is on).
The only reason to do this would be to append a duplicate of the PDF to itself. Instead, save the PDF, then go into the Edit window and use the Pages ->append from file menu option to append a duplicate of the PDF.
pdfMachine Word Mail Merge is failing for all emails with "Could not access merged PDF file C:\Users\...\FileName.pdf : The system cannot find the file specified. (0x2 / 2)"
Make sure pdfMachine is closed before you start the merge. Perform a reboot if the problem persists. If the first email succeeds but the rest fail then read here.
Turn off Reading Mode in Word before triggering the mail merge.
For example in Word 2013 :
- Choose File and then Options to display the Word Options dialog.
- Select the General tab and find Start up options.
- Deslect "Open e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading mode".
- close Word and re-open the document before triggering the merge operation again.
Check your data source. If you have a row that is missing an email address then you will get this error. Use the Word Mail Merge "Edit Recipients" tool on the Word mailings tab to make sure that no blank rows are checked, nor any rows with empty email addresses.
Check that you have a valid merge field selected in the "Merge field to use for to address field".
How do I get rid of "Com Error (0x800A1018)" during a pdfMachine Word Mail Merge?
This occurs in some versions of Word if there are no username or initial specified in the Word
The solution is to start Word, select Word options, and enter a user name and initial.
How do I fix the "getTempBrowser CopyFile()" error when printing from IE?
The message can sometimes occur when printing from Internet Explorer in protected mode.
Make sure the pdfMachine toolbar is installed and enabled in Internet Explorer.
Make sure you use the pdfMachine toolbar icon in Internet Explorer to initiate the print to PDF. That way you should not get the error message.
The pdfMachine toolbar does several things, one is to workaround the problem you are getting. The other main thing it does is convert HTML hyperlinks into PDF hyperlinks.
First print fails with "Error:bgsmsnd.exe is not running - and attempt to start it failed."
When the first print after login fails and a message box is displayed stating that "Error:bgsmsnd.exe is not running - and attempt to start it failed." this indicates that the process bgsmsnd.exe is not running after login.
In order for applications to print correctly the process bgsmsnd.exe must be running. If it isn't running the print fails but it is then started. The message appears when attempts to start it failed.
During installation bgsmsnd.exe is scheduled to start upon login. Check if this is happening. Sometimes antivirus software or the firewall blocks the process bgsmsnd.exe from starting on start-up.
bgsmsnd.exe is located in the printer driver directory, typically:
Read here for a terminal server installation.
Does my license expire?
Your pdfMachine license does not expire. However the version protection associated with the license does expire. Each license has a period of version protection. The license is valid for use with versions of pdfMachine released during the version protection period. You can see the release dates here.When your version protection expires, your current pdfMachine version will keep on working - however you will not be entitled to install new versions and still use the additional features covered by your license. pdfMachine will revert to demo or white.
Information about version protection and what to do when it expires is here.
Instructions to find your version protection expiry date are here.
How is pdfMachine licensed with Terminal Server or when sharing the printer on a network?
pdfMachine is licensed per user. You can install pdfMachine under your own user account (ie the same Windows user name) on up to 5 different machines. This should cover your main desktop, laptop and then some!
Note: Versions prior to 14.61 were licensed per machine, i.e. each machine involved (servers and
Citrix / RDP clients), no matter how thin the client, needed a separate license.
Click here for information about installing on Terminal Server.
Click here for information about installing as a shared printer.
Where is the pdfMachine addin within Internet Explorer?
You must have at least Internet Explorer 5.5 installed for the pdfMachine add-on to work. If you haven't, please upgrade to the latest version of IE then reinstall pdfMachine. Sometimes, after installation, the pdfMachine toolbar is hidden. To make it visible, from the IE menu, select the View->Toolbar menu option. Make sure the pdfMachine toolbar is ticked. Depending on how you have setup your environment, you may need to go into your Internet explorer "Internet Options", select Programs and then "Manage add-ons". Make sure that the pdfMachine add-on is enabled.
Why can't I see the pdfMachine addin in Word/Excel/PowerPoint?
Some things for you to check. The following is written for MS Word, but is applicable for the other
MS Office apps:
1. The minimum version of Office required is Office 2013.
2. When you installed did you make sure all programs were closed?
3. When you installed on the first setup dialog, was the "Install MS Office addins" checkbox ticked?
4. Word has a few settings you need to adjust to allow add-ins. Microsoft describes some of the steps you need to take to see your Office Add-Ins here. This may vary depending on the version of Word you have.
You may need to reboot and reinstall pdfMachine with no other programs open.
How do I get pdfMachine to call Lotus Notes?
Make Lotus Notes the default MAPI provider. This will call pdfMachine when the send button is
1. Open Internet Explorer, go to the toolbar and select "tools", then "internet options", then the "Programs" tab.
2. In the Internet Programs group, at the E-mail: heading, select Lotus Notes which explains that the Outlook application has to be installed before Lotus Notes can be used for MAPI.
How do I set the default MAPI Email Client?
pdfMachine uses the default MAPI client for email. To set the default MAPI client:
1. Open Internet Explorer, go to the toolbar and select "tools', then "internet options", then the "Programs" tab.
2. In the Internet Programs group, at the E-mail: heading, select your desired email client.
Why don't my Emails have my default Outlook font?
If you are using Outlook as your Email Send Method and your emails are being sent with a different
font than the default you have set up within Outlook this is due to an existing issue with Outlook.
To work around it you need to fix it from within Microsoft Word:
(1) Open Word
(2) Go to Options -> Advanced -> Web Options
(3) Change the default font in the Fonts tab"
The differences between the pdfMachine editions can be seen here.
Why does my PDF open outside of the pdfMachine window?
If you are opening a PDF or printing to pdfMachine and the PDF is displaying in a standalone Adobe Reader window rather than inside the pdfMachine window then there could be one of two things happening:
(1) You may have your Next Action set to "Launch Default PDF Viewer". If Adobe Reader is your default viewer then the PDF will be displayed in Adobe Reader. If you want it to display inside pdfMachine then change your next action to be "Launch pdfMachine Viewer".
(2) Adobe Reader may have been configured on your PC to open outside the browser. You will need to first enable the Adobe Reader add-on in Internet Explorer.
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Go to tools->Internet options>Programs>Manage add-ons
- On the left hand side select "all add-ons" under show.
- Disable the Adobe PDF reader Add on
- Restart Internet explorer
- Follow the same process this time enabling it.
Adobe has a link that tells you how to set it up if you have Adobe Reader XI here. You may also need to change the Adobe Reader Preferences and enable the "Display PDF in Browser" option on the Internet menu item. Some users find it necessary to perform a settings reset in IE to resolve this issue [Tools > Options > Advanced > Reset].
How do I stop pdfMachine offering to email PDFs which cannot be opened?
When pdfMachine is unable to open a PDF a message is displayed offering the user to email it to Broadgun Software for analysis.
If you do not want this message to appear you can modify the registry entry:
Set it to 0 to prevent the dialog displaying, or to 1 to allow pdfMachine to display the dialog.
How do I set Windows to default to open PDF files using pdfMachine?
To set up pdfMachine as an option for Windows to open PDF files you need to make pdfMachine the default program for the .pdf file type.
Follow the instructions for the Windows operating sytem you are using. You will need to associate the pdfMachine viewer (file: bgsview.exe) with the file type .pdf. The path will be :
On 32 bit systems : "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\bgsview.exe".
On 64 bit systems : "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\bgsview.exe".
Another way of finding the pdfMachine viewer program is to look at the properties of the pdfMachine program icon to find the location.
This article on the lifewire website has a helpful article describing how to set up default programs.
Windows 7 : Microsoft Help
Windows 8 / 10 : Type 'default' into the Start menu.
Select "Choose default applications by file type"
Scroll down to .pdf
Click on the .pdf row and select pdfMachine.
If pdfMachine is not there as an option then do the following first :
From Windows Explorer, right-click on a file with the .pdf extension and select the Open With menu option
Select "Choose Another App", Select "More Apps", Select "Choose an app on this PC"
Using the Open With dialog provided, navigate to the correct directory and choose the file bgsview.exe and select Open.
Now you will be able to find pdfMachine in the list of apps at "Choose default applications by file type"
How do I get rid of the pop up message telling me that there is a new version of pdfMachine available?
In the pdfMachine options, on the General tab there is a check-box "Weekly online check for new version". If you remove the check from this box you won't be prompted when a new version of pdfMachine is available.
How do I create a custom page size?
Go to Control Panel
- Administrative Tools
- Print Management
- Printer Servers
- [computer name]
- Forms, Click on "Action menu | Manage Forms "
I am having trouble converting a Table of Contents in Word to PDF so that all the hyperlinks work.
Make sure you are using the pdfMachine office add-in from within Word to create the PDF.
Make sure you have set the TOC in Word to create hyperlinks. To do this Edit the TOC field within Word. Update the advanced field options for "Table of Contents". Set Word to use hyperlinks instead of page numbers.
How can I run a batch file in "Next Action" command line?
To specify a batch file or script to execute upon PDF generation, bring up the pdfMachine options and select 'Next Action/ Email' then set 'Next Action' to 'Execute command line'.
New limitations in Windows have made it so that batch files will only run if you pipe the output to
For example, you can set the command line to "cmd /c c:\YourName.bat %s > c:\YourNameOut.txt".
The %s is substituted with the name of the pdf file produced, and any output from your batch file is sent to c:\YourNameOut.txt.
Alternatively, you can run other executables, including cscript.exe such as .
cscript.exe c:\touchx.js "%s"